Friday, August 26, 2016

Zakopane is Polish Disneyland

Zakopane is an Alpine version of Disneyland and the Wisconsin Dells, all wrapped up into one big carnival.  There are also many lovely nature trails, beside streams and lakes, in the shadow of the Tatra mountains.  In the busy town, there are arcade games, with flashing neon signs, spelling out Vegas. There are people dressed up as giant cats and dogs, who children run after to shake their paws.  There is an aqua park, with slides and a raging river, and a tilted house.  The main strip is full of shops, selling NY caps and Lego sets, along with traditional black Alpine hats, with white feathers and wooden beads. There are street cafes, restaurants, kiosks, and traditional chatas, full of people.

Everyone is here to enjoy the last official weekend of summer.  People in full hiking gear.  People wearing warm sweaters, along with shorts and sandals, to show off their seriously tanned legs.  Well-behaved dogs on leashes, walk beside their masters. There are young couples passionately kissing and older couples holding hands.  Parents push strollers, while their children toddle along the uneven cobblestones.  Grown daughters hold their mothers' hands, while teenagers congregate in packs.  Navigating my way across the stream of people in the streets can be hazardous, so I opt for a horse and carriage ride to see some of the more historic sections of town. 

Later, as I sit on a bench in the midst of it, writing in my notebook, I realize I have written the last scene of my second novel.  This vicarious life I've been living with my characters for almost a year now is over.  Until the rewrite at least.  I'm elated yet sad, realizing there's no one I can tell about this magnificent achievement.  I am all alone among a crowd of strangers.

Tomorrow I will take a bus back to Krakow, returning to the peaceful gardens and friendly staff of the Elephant on the Moon Hostel.  My journey throughout southeast Poland will end where it began

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular