Friday, August 26, 2016

Waiting for Godot on the Road to Zakopane

Church in Zakopane
Now I know why I've avoided taking the bus for long trips in Poland. They are really cheap, but also really unreliable. I get up very early and take a taxi to the stop a half hour before the bus is due. The bus stop is on the side of a busy road somewhere outside Nowy Sacz.  Then I wait, and I wait, and I wait.

Another bus driver takes pity on me, phoning the private bus company to see what's keeping them.  They tell him they're on their way.  So I wait some more, sitting at this bus stop in the middle of nowhere for three hours, while other buses come and go.  I try meditating, praying, reading, napping, silently weeping, as my anxiety level rises.  What if the bus never comes?

Surveying the local area, I find a bush out of sight in case I need it.  I wonder how comfortable it would be to sleep on this wooden bench?  Would the police come to rescue me if I am stuck here all night?  Can I convince someone who understands English to use their cell phone to ring a taxi for me?

The same bus driver comes back an hour later after his run.  Surprised to find me still there, he phones again.  Just then the bus appears, practically full.  The bus driver apologizes for the delay, saying he had to fix a flat tire on side of the road.  Relieved, I try to nap on the three hour ride through scenic countryside to Zakopane.


When we finally arrive at the bus station, I take a taxi to my bed and breakfast, only to find out my room is up three long flights of stairs.  The housekeeper helps me lug my suitcase up the stairs.  Wheels on the suitcase really don't work on stairs?

At least the en suite room is clean and comfortable, with a lovely view of the mountains, but there's no way I'm going back  down those stairs to find something to eat.  Finding a kettle in the hallway for tea, I eat the bag of dried banana chips my nephew gave me for emergencies.  Maybe tomorrow I'll explore this popular mountain resort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular