Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Travel to Poland

Travel to Poland

Who do you know who would go to southeast Poland all alone when they don't know a word of Polish and stay for five weeks to research a novel set during World War II?

That would be me.

If you are friends of mine on Facebook, then you know about some of my misadventures in Poland coping with infinite stairs, cobblestones, and public transport with a bum knee.  If not, then I am going to use this blog to share with you some of my favorite places and unforgettable experiences.  From urbane Krakow (pronounced Krakov) to Poland's version of Disneyland mixed with the Wisconsin Dells in Zakopane, I was able to visit places most Americans never see.



 I learned a great deal about this Eastern European country's tragic past and current struggles.  Every day I was surprised, sometimes pleasantly, and sometimes not so much.

So stay tuned for tips on what to do and what to avoid in beautiful southeastern Poland.  Pictured above is the morning fog over the lake and the Beskid mountains from Agroturystyka Barnilka, a lovely wooden and stone house built in the Lemko tradition, in placid Klimkowka.  With its friendly dogs, goats, and chickens and authentic Spanish and Lemko breakfasts and dinners, this is truly one of the most beautiful places I stayed in Poland.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular