Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Elephant on the Moon Hostel

I chose this Eco friendly hostel because of its' whimsical name.  It reminded me of the little boy in Le Petit Prince.  Later I learned that the elephant is considered lucky in Poland and that the moon is a reference to sleeping well.  I like my explanation better.  TripAdvisor recommends this hostel and I can see why.  A short walk to Wawel Castle along the River Vistula, it is close to town by streetcar, yet far enough from the bustle of the city.  Reasonably priced private rooms, a substantial breakfast, and free Wi Fi.  There's a lovely garden with a fountain to relax from the horrors of Auschwitz and Birkenau and from wandering around the Old Town of Krakow.  The perfect place to read a book, meditate, or check your emails.        

The manager, Aga, and her assistant, Magda, go out of their way to make every visitor welcome.  They gave me excellent advice of what to see in Krakow and in southeast Poland and how to navigate the transport system within and outside of Krakow.  They arranged for personal electric golf cart tours of the Old Town and the Jewish Quarter for me and for tours of Schindler's Factory and Auschwitz.  They even arranged for a healing massage at a nearby hotel to soothe my aching muscles after my long flight.


I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone who wants to experience authentic Polish life.  I met some amazing fellow travelers from England, Germany, Austria, and Sweden.  I loved it so much I returned for a few days at the end of my journey through Poland.  It felt like coming home.  If you would like to find out more about the Elephant on the Moon Hostel, check out www.elephantonthemoon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular