Sunday, May 21, 2017

May is for Remembrance

Humorous.  Intelligent.  Witty.  Loyal.  Open-minded.  Ironic.  Poet.  Philosopher.  Nonjudgmental.  Optimistic.  Self-deprecating.  A man who never took himself too seriously and could always see the goodness in others.  Unconditional love.  My father.  Our special bond can never be broken, not even by death.  

He emigrated by boat from Scotland to Canada as a young boy and to America as a young man by bus.  He was drafted by the Army shortly after he arrived in Chicago, which only gave him six months to woo and marry his young bride, my mother, before he was shipped over to Germany.  She followed him over and my oldest brother, his namesake, was born there.  After they returned, it didn't take long before the rest of us came along.


Although he worked overtime at General Mills, and sometimes at two jobs, he always found time for me.  Trips to the library, to the drug store for a candy bar, to the pub for a coke and beer nuts.  Playing hooky from church.  My first visit to Northwestern University and to Ireland. 

He always believed in me, supporting my choices, even if he feared their outcome.  He never lost his sense of humor, as we faced the never-ending tragedy of mental illness and suicide in the family.  I miss him and my younger brother, John, and sister, Jackie so much until we meet again on the other side.  May is for remembrance.    

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular